Monday, April 4, 2011

Galatians 2:20-21 - The cross was not impersonal and mechanical

I spent about an hour this morning studying the first 2 chapters of Galatians with the ESV Study Bible. Galatians is a gold-mine of hope and encouragement that faith in Jesus Christ is sufficient for justification for all people (who trust in him). It's hard to read without treasuring Christ more and more.

For example, I have found it to be a common misconception that the Cross was an "impersonal and mechanical" event without any personal expression of love. I have seen this to be true sometimes even in my own heart. I see Christ on the cross, dying only for "all believers", but not "for me". This is an easy-to-fall-for contradiction. To use more imagery, I am walking up to the cross, and I ask Jesus "what are you doing here?" and he says, "dying for the sins of all believers...who are you? what is your name? where do you come from?"

Maybe it's because I grew up in a large suburban town where I was always a small fish in a big pond, always lost in the crowd. Maybe it's because I went to a college that had over 25,000 undergraduates. Maybe it's because throughout my life, I always felt like I had to do something crazy or over-the-top to be noticed, loved, or appreciated. Either way, I have found that my tendency is to see the cross as an impersonal event for the "crowds" rather than for me as an individual. Maybe this is all because I am trying to avoid pride - but "far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ"! (Galatians 6:14).

All that being said, check out Paul's words in Galatians 2:20-21 and feel the "individual" love. "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for meI do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose."

Even more than this, I consider my ministry. Is it a self-sufficient effort, Kevin Singer toiling and striving, in hopes that Christ is pleased (outside and removed from me)? Or is it Christ living in me? Walking in me, talking in me, counseling in me, discipling in me, preaching and teaching in me, sharing the gospel in me?

Maybe you're with me - and you're thinking, "I have no idea what it really feels like to be special in the eyes of God. I want to know how much he loves me, how much he died for me, and how much he is living in me." Well, Galatians 2:20-21 is a start! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment